Friday 8 March 2013

Question One



Transcript:

I feel my music magazine challenges the forms and conventions of the R&B Industry. This is because I feel I’ve made a magazine that represents an aspect of the genre that is essential but not celebrated enough – the female half of the genre. As shown in my front page I have decided to use black white and pink. The pink I have chosen is also a lighter shade of pink. I think this does fit within the theme of powerful classy women that often don’t show that softer side to their audience. It also isn’t too contrasting against the white and the black that it suggests a “loud” genre.
On the front page I have “The” smaller than “Hype”. I have placed “the” in the top left hand corner and spread the word “Hype” across the top of the page. I think the title “The Hype” is a good title that fits within the genre – it suggests a source of all R&B genre which would entice audiences into buying my magazine
The sell lines form an outline around the picture. I think this creates a neater page. With the cell lines I think they all reinforce the theme of women – with artists such as “Lauryn Hill” on the page.
The purpose of the bar code is for institutional reasons .This is so that the institution are able to receive the money used to purchase the product.
On the other side of the page, we see a quote that has been pulled out from I.M.A.N’s article – “Regenerating the game”. This sell line is effective because most R&B / Hip Hop artists refer to the music industry as a “game” and I thought that it would be language that my demographic would be more familiar with.
I think having the title “Ladies Special Edition” is effective because otherwise it wouldn’t fit the typical male dominated look of a music magazine.
The picture I have used is of a black female model. I think was an effective choice because the genres of R&B are dominated by black males and females – therefore meeting the conventions.
The picture I have used is of a black female model. I think was an effective choice because the genres of R&B are dominated by black males and females – therefore meeting the conventions.
I felt my contents page was the most challenging to produce. One reason why I felt this was especially hard to produce was because I wanted to challenge the forms and conventions of the R&B / Hip Hop by having more content on the contents page. The contents page on Vibe had a picture of Kanye West which distracted from the contents page as a whole. The picture of Kanye did however provide inspiration for my contents page – because I decided to use a black and white magazine. Another reason why I felt a contents page was especially hard to make because it was hard to strike a balance between a contents page which was edgy and could possibly sell underground and a contents page which commercially appeals to a mass 17-23 audience (ABC1 Category).
The page numbers help with the organisation of the page and also when flicking through the magazine, the consumer knows which page to turn to – e.g. Know which page to turn the to see the double page spread on the artist on the front cover
I think that having an editor’s note was effective because it’s more welcoming to the reader.
The social media logos are at the bottom of the page. They stand out against the page. This shows the integration of new media with my magazine – which would connect to my audience because there are the main demographic that use social media networks.
I think that the different fonts and the amount of text that was on the content page made the contents page look less professional – also did not meet the forms and conventions of the genre. Because most of the text is quite short and punchy in order to not intimidate the reader.
The last reason why I think the reason why the content page was especially hard to make was because I wanted to use different colours on my magazine – different shades of pink. However I overcame this by limiting the colours and emphasising the use of black and white, therefore making the magazine look classier.
I think that the way the word “Contents” is presented is not typical of the codes and conventions of a R&B music magazine – because they usually pile the letters on top each other. However my reason for not doing this is because I do not believe that it would look effective on my page.
I think the construction of the double page spreads was the easiest out of all the pages in the magazine. The double page spreads have the job of making the artist the main topic. What my double page spread tried to convey a split persona of my artist – one side would be the performer that the audience are familiar with. The other side a more vulnerable toned down side that her fans do not get to see, thus deciding to portray it in the article. The article took on an interview format.
On my double page spread I put the title of “Brand New for 2013” at the top. I have done this because I have made this competition which compares the best up and coming artists – which “I.M.AN” has won.
The image presents the first side of my artist that the reader may feel that they can recognize – which I feel is an effective way to start the article.
The rest of the interview is spaced out into columns. This is so that the text does not seem intimidating to the reader and also makes the text look shorter. The text is also colour coded to indicate whether the interviewer was talking or whether I.M.A.N. was. This is also to make the page look more organized and look less intimidated. This is what the industry magazines – such as vibe – do in their double page spreads. I think this makes my magazine successful because my meeting industry standard it makes my magazine look more professional.
The purpose of an intro paragraph is to introduce the article. My intro paragraph is a short paragraph outlining the context of the article and also gives an introduction to the article. This is effective because mine meets that of industry standard.
The purpose of a pull out quote is to emphasise a quote that grabs the reader’s attention. I feel that this quote does it effectively – giving the award prestige. 
The text is once again put into columns to seem less intimidating to the reader and make the text look like there is of it.
I wanted to do something that summarises the article so I decided to make a timeline of her life in music. And a fact file about her – which enhanced the personal tone.
Here is a more visual representation of the split persona- which I again think is effective because it shows something  that the audience are not used – Uses and Gratifications Theory, the idea that we consume music magazines because for escapism and entertainment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment