Friday 8 March 2013

Question Three

There are four main distribution companies that distribute magazines in the industry. PC Media, Bauer Media, Condé Nast & Hearst (National Magazine Company). In order for my music magazine to successful, I would have needed to have chosen the right distributor to distribute my magazine. The role of the distributor is very similar to that of the record label in the music industry. There were several decisions I had taken in order for my magazine to be successful and cement itself with its competitors

The institution that I have chosen to distribute my magazine is Vibe Media. I felt that the four main distribution companies did not have any knowledge on increasing awareness for my music magazine, leading to the magazine possibly not selling very well. Vibe media is most famous for distributing Vibe Magazine – an R&B magazine, very similar to my music magazine “The Hype”. One reason why I chose to pair up with the distribution company “Vibe Media” is because they produce Vibe Magazine in America and do not have any magazines that they distribute here in the UK – thus opening their market share, allowing them to dominate their share of the market. The size and scale of the R&B / Hip Hop music magazine industry is considerably smaller in the UK than the US. Yet many of the perceived conventions of the genre are still evident in magazines in the UK. One way that this proves to be beneficial to both “The Hype” and Vibe Media is that Vibe Media are able to capitalize on the expansion of the market in the UK and “The Hype” is able to sell more by its association with Vibe Media.

Another reason why choosing Vibe Media as a distributor would prove successful is because I feel that they already know how to effectively distribute an R&B magazine – because they already distribute Vibe Magazine in the US. Meaning they know where to sell them, where to advertise the magazine and will already enhance the level of interaction it has on multi platforms (Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube). Having a distributor that knows how to generate profit for a music magazine of this nature means the magazine would be advertised more effectively. I feel that choosing Vibe Media as a distribution company would prove to be successful because of the up rise of web 2.0 and new media – which means that there is a variety of ways for the product to reach the intended audience.

I think that not choosing IPC and the other three main distributors in the UK was an effective decision because they are large institutions that already supply a wide range of music magazines. I think that they could not put in the work and money to make my music magazine as much of a success as I feel Vibe Media would. Also IPC produce more indie magazines – which I feel is a completely different direction, therefore would not know how to market the brand effectively. Many of the ideas and values captured in my music magazine are very different to that of IPC. I think that distributors enhance the associations made with the magazine, thus if I did choose any of the four distributors, the magazine would not be able to cement itself with the other magazines of the genre.

However one concern of choosing Vibe Media as my distributor is that they do already produce Vibe Magazine in America. This means that the level of competition will potentially increase – because they are both of the same genre and intended for the same audience. Which could also potentially increase confusion – because both magazines are expensive and although they have disposable income it varies between magazines.  One way of combating this issue is by making sure that that I solely effective appeal to British audience. Through including segments such as introducing new artists (which is what I did with the issue I produced), British festivals such as Wireless Festival and tour dates that are around the UK.

Overall, I feel that combating the issue of not having a British distributor that distributes R&B music magazines already, leading to me pairing with an American distributor will lead to an increase in the R&B music magazine industry and will allow my magazine to be distributed effectively, capitalising on the lack of competition here in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment